Introductory Letter

8734 113th Street

Richmond Hill, NY 11418

February 12, 2023

Ms. Julianne Davidow

City College of New York

160 Convent Ave, New York,

NY 10031

Dear Ms. Davidow,

Good afternoon; my name is Nathan Jainarain. I am writing to you today to introduce myself and provide a background of who I am. To start with, I am a second-semester freshman at City College seeking an Electrical engineering degree. I am undeclared on the official record since I am still in the city college’s gateway sector, but I plan to enter electrical once I meet the requirements. My efforts in pursuing this degree have led me into this class, writing for engineers, and I look forward to learning to be a better writer.

I was born and raised right here in New York Queens. My father and mother moved here after meeting each other in the Bronx. They were both originally from Guyana. Growing up in Queens has been an excellent experience for the most part. Queens, being so diverse, allows me to be introduced to many different ideas and cultures from a young age. My family always supported me. I have an older brother and a younger brother. While being the middle child has not always been easy, it also has its benefits. I was able to watch my older go through things first, in a way like a guinea pig, and then having a brother to watch over is something I cherish.

Furthermore, we grew up with Guyanese tradition, which has its expectations. Our parents always pushed us to be the best we could be and be our best selves. In Queens, my family and I lived with my uncles and aunts until my little brother was born. This environment has left an everlasting impact on my life. It made me a big believer in family. As far as I can remember, my father has stressed the importance of education. Therefore I have always tried to do my best in school.

Although, for the most part, I always did well in my classes, I took more interest in certain subjects. Math and sciences were much more interesting than writing and other topics. I liked to build things and create. I went to a technical high school where I took two years of Computer-aided programming for architecture. While I found great interest in architecture and building, I also had many hobbies fixing cars and computers and completing small projects in the house. A common aspect in all of these was the electrical field which led me to be interested in it. I like the field of engineering since I find it as a place that fosters my creativity and uses it to solve problems and create things from my knowledge. I find building things very fulfilling as I look back on my work and appreciate it. Furthermore, the field is financially rewarding, as we all know. I know its difficulties as it constantly advances, but most good things are hard. My goal is to acquire this degree and gain experience under another engineer. The end goal, however, is to open up my own electrical business and take contracts for myself. A company would allow me to be financially stable, hire and give jobs to upcoming people in my family and friends, and provide a pathway for success through me as well.

Before starting college, I started working in a sheet metal factory with a few family members to make some money. This experience was an eye-opener for me. I remember seeing the amount of work and how hard these men had to work to earn a living. I came into the shop with my uncle and watched him, over fifty years old, have to lift and move heavy ducts and stay out in the heat of those trucks. This experience impacted me coming out of school and plunged into the real world. It gave me an insight into how things are and gave me a new appreciation for the people around me and the sacrifices they made. It also reinforced my determination to succeed for my sake and those around me. With that, starting college, I would like to learn as much as possible to do well.

This semester I’d like to learn the professional standard of writing. Through this class, I would like to be introduced to different writing formats and understand how to communicate in different ways and meet the standard forms. My only concern in this class is improving my writing format, and I would like to improve the clarity of my writing. After reading this letter, I hope you have an idea of who I am, and I look forward to learning from you this semester.

Sincerely,

Nathan Jainarain